Shabby

Monday, September 16, 2013

Let Steadfastness Have Its Full Effect

I wrote a verse from James in my journal recently.   I've read the entire verse many times but I have never really thought about the particular phrase "let steadfastness have its full effect".   The passage reads: 
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.  James 1:2-4
What a standard!  Perfect?  Lacking nothing?  In just typing these words I am conscious of all the things I lack (e.g. profound insight, awesome writing skills, unselfishness).   Since perfection is impossible,  James must have meant something else.  So I turn to some helpful resources to figure out what is meant by "steadfastness" and what it's effect is supposed to be.    
Steadfastness in this sense is the Greek word "hypomone" which is translated as patience, endurance, or perseverance.   The full effect is "teleios", or something which is brought to its end/maturity/lacking nothing for completeness.    Faithfulness, through all sorts of trials, works in us to produce a remarkable patience and ability to persevere which leads to spiritual maturity (i.e., Christlike character).  
The phrase "that you may be" implies a state of being, not just something that happens to us supernaturally and then fades away when all is well again.  Its an inward transformation of character.    As such, we become complete, or "holokleros", meaning we have no blemish or defect.   
Since we are loaded with blemishes and defects, God gave us a loophole.   Romans 8:1-2 says"...there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death".  
In short, we're to  "let" perseverance by faith change our character so that we become spiritually mature and possess Christlike character traits.   This is a life long process and a mission that will not be fully accomplished until we see Christ face to face.   
I think of Jesus' words in John 3:21 when he tells Nicodemus, " But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God."
I am encouraged when I read these verses because, at the end of my life  I want to be able to look back and say, "This (whatever that may be) is what the Lord has done."   In other words, I want it to be obvious that the Lord has used my life in a way that glorifies his name and brings about things that only he can do.  My task, then, is to not get in his way and "let steadfastness have its full effect".    


No comments:

Post a Comment